Thursday 11 March 2021

BEDROOM SPACE ODYSSEY

I can’t really pinpoint the exact influences of this song. However, the initial idea more than likely stemmed from loud brashly South African electronic, urban, music which filtered into my psyche: just from wandering around Durban. In my alone time during this period, I was probably listening to a lot of New Order

Listen to my cover of New Order's Restless:

https://soundcloud.com/mattvend/restless-new-order-cover

Then South Africa’s elusive Felix Laband was also doing the rounds in some of these music listening sessions. So I basically had this idea of merging what I thought would sound like a cross between New Order and Felix Laband with a sprinkling of gqom.

The result sounds nothing like New Order or Felix Laband or even gqom for that matter, yet it’s something. A psychedelic kaleidoscope of noisy guitars and droning synthesizers. I have performed this track only twice live and both times I received an interesting response. 

On the second occasion I was playing at The Winston Pub, the show was surprisingly full and a fair amount of revelers were at the front enjoying my aggressive approach to acoustic music. I decided to spring this one on them and within minutes the front of the house was cleared, however, I noticed two pockets of people really feeling the song. It was my last track and the first pocket of people, disheveled and shoe-less came rushing to the stage after the performance and told me that the song I had just performed was a trance song and that they were very impressed by the guitar.

The second pocket was hip hop heads at the back and they gleefully told me how I had in fact pulled off a live guitar-driven trap song. The bulk of the crowd by now was disinterested and in the beer garden drinking and smoking cigarettes. 

Download the studio version here:

https://groundsweeprecords.bandcamp.com/track/bedroom-space-odyssey

Thanks for watching 

Love 

Matt






2 comments: