Friday 26 July 2024

ALBUMS BY MATT VEND, A GUIDE TO MY DISCOGRAPHY

I've put out many albums in the last decade or so, the way the internet works in the sense of algorithms is that it's designed to make concentration tremendously difficult. I have never really understood how any of this works and to be completely honest, I'd rather just make music than worry about any of this nonsense, however the ego inside me is also keen to share these works and get some people listening. So here is a catalogue of what I've made so far, there is a new record on the way and I hope it comes to life sooner than later. 

1. Tavern Talk - released November 23rd, 2012

Download and donate: https://groundsweeprecords.bandcamp.com/album/matt-vend-and-the-tender-ten-tavern-talk

Stream: https://open.spotify.com/album/7pb6AIdzveieFxWoOjmSKA

My debut album, with an eclectic mix of acoustic music, rock 'n roll, other African genres and even a sprinkling of dub and folk/punk. Produced by Kurt Peinke of City Bowl Mizers fame, with guest apperances from Hezron Chetty and James Cross. The album is somewhat disjointed, with both studio and live recordings and it was my first time without a band since my days fronting Car Boot Vendors and Sibling Rivalry.









2. A Quieter Riot - released November 8th, 2014:
Download and donate: 
Stream:


My second album where I took on the role of producer and engineer for the first time, recording the album in my bedroom studio. Once again I brought on Kurt Peinke to help me with the final stages of mixing and mastering. The album is by far the gentlest music I've ever written.












3. Jut Pride - released on the 26th of December 2015:
Download and donate:
Stream:


This album marked a turning point in songwriting for me, and although it did have the same folk influences of the previous 2 recordings, the music took a darker, heavier and more experimental direction. It was the first time I did the final mix. However, this time around I received assistance from Steve Jones of New Noise Studios to do the final mastering. Again the album was recorded in my bedroom. 








4." So you think your life is so great?" - released April 20th, 2017:
Download and donate:
Stream:

I hauled my recording gear to Cape Town for this one as that is where I was residing at the time. This enabled me to recruit some fantastic guest musicians including Stigue Nel (Trumpet), Jon Case (Drums) and Bobby Cross (Bass). The album was entirely self-produced and engineered, I even took on the role of doing the final mastering as well. 









5. Anatronic - released December 13th, 2018
Download and donate:
Stream:

This album indirectly became a concept album as I found himself delving deeper and deeper into a keyboard as the main driving force behind the songwriting. Half the songs where acoustically driven and half very much in the vein of the new wave 80's British scene (New Order, The Smiths). It was also electronic music made in a very analog way hence the name "Anatronic" which was a joke coined by my friend, writer, and musician Yusuf Laher. The joke stuck and a new genre was born. The album was mastered in Mexico City by Alejandro Rojas Carranza at Angry Monkey Studios. Again it was produced independently at my home studio. 




6. Lonely like a holday - released December 24, 2019:
Download and donate:
Stream:

This album was written and recorded in record time for me, I've never felt more in the flow then when making this record, the whole thing was done in about a month including mixing. We spent a longer time mastering it with the help of Neil Snyman a South African recording legend. I was listening to a lot of New Order, Joy Division and Felix Laband during the recording process and I think the keyboard once again took centre stage in the writing process. I was pretty happy with the outcome and the energy and style of songwriting definitely took on a new sonic direction. 




8. Lost Inside The Static - released May 1, 2020:
Download and donate:
Stream:

This recording was done fairly quickly with only 5 tracks on it, the music went back to the roots exploring the stripped down nature of folk/punk and rock 'n roll. I tried something new in this one in terms of using samples from random Asian television shows and news broadcasts, yet I think it was definitely a return to my songwriting roots in many ways as all I had was a guitar as the primary instrument. The record was made during lockdown in both South Africa and Thailand. 




9. Rage Against The Vending Machine - released April 21, 2022 
Download and donate:
Stream:

This collection of songs was recorded in various locations in both Thailand and South Africa over a period of 2 years from March 2020 to April 2022. Some of these locations included a friend’s house in the heart of Vereeniging Gauteng, an air b and b in Phuket Thailand, a dilapidated hostel in central Bangkok, and my sad bedroom in Durban, South Africa. As usual, this is an entirely DIY recording, made with my trusty BR-800 and an accompaniment of instruments, including a steel-string acoustic, a hollow body Epiphone, an acoustic bass guitar, and a keyboard. All words and music by me besides for the samples, which were onerously captured via a microphone during long hours alone due to being locked down on a Thai island. Some of these samples include the dialogue of Asian sitcoms and Thai news broadcasts. Final mastering by Kurt Peinke.


8. All aboard the Pineapple Express - released June 2, 2022:
Downlaod and donate:

A two track ep, recorded literally in two one hour sessions in a secret location in Bathurst in the Eastern Cape, RIP Victor Challis who took the time to make this happen and produced and engineered this recording. Miss you brother and see you on the other side one day. 









9. Covers - Volume 1 - released April 27, 2023

Download:https://groundsweeprecords.bandcamp.com/album/covers-vol-1-matt-vend-and-the-tender-ten

7 covers from 7 pop/ post-punk and new wave artists. Except Allen Ginsberg, I took his performance of Sunflower Sutra Allen Ginsberg, “Sunflower Sutra” from Collected Poems, 1947-1980. Covers by: Joy Division, Arcade Fire, New Order, Miley Cyrus, Blink-182 and Grimes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment